Vulnerability research is the process of analyzing protocols, services, and configurations to discover the vulnerabilities and design flaws that will expose an operating system and its applications to exploit, attack, or misuse.
A security administrator needs vulnerability research:
- To gather information about security trends, newly discovered threats, attack surfaces, attack vectors and techniques.
- To find weaknesses in the OS and applications and alert the network administrator before a network attack.
- To understand information that helps prevent security problems.
- To know how to recover from a network attack.
Vulnerability Research Techniques Covered in the Learning Path:
- Advanced Google Hacking Techniques/li>
- Source Code Analysis/li>
- Traffic Analysis/li>
- ExploitDB Search/li>
- Searchsploit Search/li>
- SQL Vulnerability Scanning/li>
- Vulnerability Scanning using Burpsuite