IoT Security Certification
Licensed Penetration Tester
EC-Council’s Certified Penetration Tester (CPENT) program is all about the pen test and will teach you to perform in an enterprise network environment that must be attacked, exploited, evaded, and defended. If you have only been working in flat networks, CPENT’s live practice range will teach you to take your skills to the next level by teaching you to pen test IoT systems, OT systems, as well as how to write your own exploits, build your own tools, conduct advanced binaries exploitation, double pivot to access hidden networks, and customization of scripts and exploits to get into the innermost segments of the network.
Suggested career path only, courses can be taken independently, and the order is not fixed.
- Module 01: Introduction to Penetration Testing
- Module 02: Penetration Testing Scoping and Engagement
- Module 03: Open Source Intelligence (OSINT)
- Module 04: Social Engineering Penetration Testing
- Module 05: Network Penetration Testing – External
- Module 06: Network Penetration Testing – Internal
- Module 07: Network Penetration Testing – Perimeter Devices
- Module 08: Web Application Penetration Testing
- Module 09: Wireless Penetration Testing
- Module 10: IoT Penetration Testing
- Module 11: OT/SCADA Penetration Testing
- Module 12: Cloud Penetration Testing
- Module 13: Binary Analysis and Exploitation
- Module 14: Report Writing and Post Testing Actions
The heart of the CPENT program is all about helping students master their pen test skills by putting them to use on our live cyber ranges. The CPENT ranges were designed to be dynamic in order to give students a real-world training program, so just as targets and technology continue to change in live networks, both the CPENT practice and exam ranges will mimic this reality as our team of engineers continues to add targets and defenses throughout the CPENT course’s lifetime.
CPENT Course Benefits
- 100% mapped with the NICE framework.
- 100% methodology-based penetration testing program.
- Blends both manual and automated penetration testing approaches.
- Designed with the most common penetration testing practices offered by the best service providers.
- Maps to all major Job Portals. Role Title: Penetration Tester and Security Analyst.
- Provides strong reporting writing guidance.
- Gives a real-world experience through an Advanced Penetration Testing Range.
- Provides candidates with standard Pen test for use in the field.
Advanced Windows Attacks
This zone contains a complete forest that you first have to gain access to and then use PowerShell and any other means to execute Silver and Gold Ticket and Kerberoasting. The machines will be configured with defenses in place meaning you to have to use PowerShell bypass techniques and other advanced methods to score points within the zone.
Attacking IOT Systems
CPENT is the first certification that requires you to locate IOT devices and then gain access to the network. Once on the network, you must identify the firmware of the IOT device, extract it, and then reverse engineer it.
Writing Exploits: Advanced Binary Exploitation
Finding flawed code is a skill competent pen testers need. In this zone you will be required to find the flawed binaries then reverse engineer them to write exploits to take control of the program execution. The task is complicated by the requirement of penetrating from the perimeter to gain access then discover the binaries. Once that is done you have to reverse engineer the code. Unlike other certifications, CPENT includes 32 and 64 bit code challenges and some of the code will be compiled with basic protections of non-executable stacks. You must be able to write a driver program to exploit these binaries, then discover a method to escalate privileges. This will require advanced skills in binary exploitation to include the latest debugging concepts and egg hunting techniques. You are required to craft input code to first take control of program execution and second, map an area in memory to get your shell code to work and bypass system protections.
Bypassing a Filtered Network
The CPENT certification provides web zone challenges that exist within a segmentation architecture, so you have to identify the filtering of the architecture then leverage this knowledge to gain access to web applications. The next challenge is to compromise and then extract the required data from the web apps to achieve points.
Pentesting Operational Technology (OT)
The CPENT range contains a zone that is dedicated to ICS SCADA networks that the candidate will have to penetrate from the IT network side and gain access to the OT network. Once there, you will have to identify the Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) and then modify the data to impact the OT network. You must be able to intercept the Mod Bus Communication protocol and communication between the PLC and other nodes.
Access Hidden Networks with Pivoting
Based on our beta testing, pen testers struggle to identify the rules that are in place when they encounter a layered network. Therefore, in this zone you will have to identify the filtering rules then penetrate the direct network. From there, candidates have to attempt pivots into hidden networks using single pivoting methods, but through a filter. Most certifications do not have a true pivot across disparate networks and few (if any) have the requirement into and out of a filtering device.
Once you have braved and mastered the challenges of the pivot, the next challenge is the double pivot. This is not something that you can use a tool for; in most cases the pivot has to be set up manually. CPENT is the first certification in the world that requires you to access hidden networks using double pivoting.
In this challenge, the latest methods of privilege escalation reverse engineering code to take control of execution then break out of the limited shell are required to gain root/admin.
Evading Defense Mechanisms
The range requires your exploits be tested by different defenses you are likely to see in the wild. Candidates are required to get their exploits past the defenses by weaponizing them.
Attack Automation with Scripts
Prepare for advanced penetration testing techniques and scripting with seven self-study appendices: Penetration testing with Ruby, Python, PowerShell, Perl, BASH, Fuzzing, and Metasploit.
Weaponize Your Exploits
Customize your own tools and build your armory with your coding expertise to hack the challenges presented to you as you would in real life.
Write Professional Reports
Experience how a pen tester can mitigate risks and validate the report presented to the client to really make an impact. Great pen testing doesn’t mean much to clients without a clearly written report!
CPENT is a fully online, remotely proctored practical exam that challenges candidates through a grueling 24-hour performance-based, hands-on exam. The exam is broken into 2 practical exams of 12-hours each that will test your perseverance and focus by forcing you to outdo yourself with each new challenge. Candidates have the option to choose either 2 12-hour exams or one 24-hour exam.
Candidates who score more than 70% will earn the CPENT certification. Candidates who score more than 90% attain the prestigious LPT (Master) credential!
- Choose your challenge! Either two 12-Hour sessions or a single 24-Hour exam!
- EC-Council specialists proctor the entire exam – Validity is not in question.
- Score at least 70% and become a CPENT
- Score at least 90% and earn the highly regarded LPT (Master) designation!
You have the potential to earn two certifications with one exam. If you score above a 90% on the CPENT live range exam, not only will you earn the CPENT certification, but you will also earn the Licensed Penetration Tester (LPT) Master Credential!
To be a LPT (Master) means that you can find chinks in the armor of defense-in-depth network security models with the help of network pivoting, making exploit codes work in your favor, or by writing Bash, Python, Perl, and Ruby scripts. The live range CPENT exam demands that you think on your feet, be creative in your approach, and not rely on the conventional techniques.
Outsmarting and out maneuvering the adversary is what sets you apart from the crowd. The CPENT’s hands-on exam offers a challenge like no other by simulating a complex network in real time. This experience will test your perseverance and focus by forcing you to outdo yourself with each new challenge.
LPT (Master) certified professional can:
- Demonstrate a repeatable and measurable approach to penetration testing
- Perform advanced techniques and attacks to identify SQL injection, Cross site scripting (XSS), LFI, RFI vulnerabilities in web applications
- Submit a professional and industry accepted report that achieves management and technical buy-in
- Get access to proprietary EC-Council penetration testing methodologies
- Write exploit codes to gain access to a vulnerable system or application
- Exploit vulnerabilities in Operating systems such as Windows, Linux
- Perform privilege escalation to gain root access to a system
- Demonstrate ‘Out-of-the-box’ and ‘lateral’ thinking
- Ensure the integrity and value of the penetration testing certification, in a fully online, remotely proctored certification exam
- Cyber Security Forensic Analyst
- Cyber Threat Analyst Tier 2
- Cyber Threat Intelligence Analyst
- Information Security Analyst
- Cyber Security Engineer
- Application Security Analyst II
- Cyber Security Assurance Engineer
- Senior Information Assurance/ Security Specialist
- Security Systems Analyst
- Security Operations Center (SOC) Analyst
- Penetration Tester
- Technical Operations Network Engineer
- IT Security Administrator
- Security Engineer
- Information Security Engineer
- Network Security Information Analyst
- Mid Level Penetration Tester
- IT Security Analyst III
- Junior Security Operations Center (SOC) Analyst
The MasterClass package includes:
Certified Penetration Testing Professional (CPENT):
The Most Robust
The MasterClass Penetration Tester program includes three courses with the potential to earn two certifications:
- Students will attend the live Certified Penetration Testing Professional (CPENT) Pen-Test Course which will teach a structured, methodological approach on how to use the tools taught in the Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) course in a real world pen test scenario.
- The Next step will be to apply the concepts taught in the CPENT course against the practice range. Finally student will challenge the CPENT certification exam on the live CPENT exam cyberrange.
- Those who earn 70% or better will earn their CPENT certification but those who earn 90% or better earns the License Penetration Tester Master (LPT) credential.
The Most Practice Ranges
The CPENT range consists of entire network segments that replicate an enterprise network — this is not a computer game simulation; this is an accurate representation of an enterprise network that will present the latest challenges to the pen tester. The benefit of hands on learning in a live practice range is that candidates will encounter multiple layers of network segmentation, and the CPENT course will teach candidates how to navigate these layers, so that once access is gained in one segment, a candidate will know the latest pivoting techniques required to reach the next. However, that won’t be enough on its own as the targets and segments are progressive in nature, so once you get into one machine and or segment, the next one will challenge you even more!
The CPENT range requires your exploits be tested by different defenses you are likely to see in the wild. Candidates are required to get their exploits past the defenses by weaponizing them. Here is a sample of what else you can expect to find in the CPENT range:
- The Access Hidden Networks with Pivoting zone will require you to identify the filtering rules then penetrate the direct network. From there, candidates have to attempt pivots into hidden networks using single pivoting methods, but through a filter. Most certifications do not have a true pivot across disparate networks and few (if any) have the requirement into and out of a filtering device.The CPENT range contains a zone that is dedicated to ICS SCADA networks that the candidate will have to penetrate from the IT network side and gain access to the OT network.
- In the Privilege Escalation challenge, the latest methods of privilege escalation reverse engineering code to take control of execution then break out of the limited shell are required to gain root/admin.
- The Advanced Windows Attacks zone contains a complete forest that you first have to gain access to and then use PowerShell and any other means to execute Silver and Gold Ticket and Kerberoasting.
- CPENT is the first certification that requires you to locate IOT devices and then gain access to the network. Once on the network, you must identify the firmware of the IOT device, extract it, and then reverse engineer it.
- Once you have braved and mastered the challenges of the pivot, the next challenge is the double pivot. This is not something that you can use a tool for; in most cases the pivot has to be set up manually. CPENT is the first certification in the world that requires you to access hidden networks using double pivoting.
The Most Labs
- 8 network ranges (zones)
- 105 lab exercises
Exam Insurance Program
Here at Masterclass we know that test taking can be very stressful, so we have developed a program to put your mind at ease.
While no one can guarantee that you will pass the exam, we can offer you Exam Insurance: If you fail either certification exam included in this program on the first attempt, EC-Council will pay for the next attempt. Any further attempts can be purchased at the reduced “retake” rate.
Who’s it for?
- Ethical Hackers
- Penetration Testers
- Network server administrators
- Firewall Administrators
- Security Testers
- System Administrators and Risk Assessment professionals
Live Course Dates in North America
Live Course Dates outside of North America
Save big. Join the club.
As an iClass Club member, you receive unlimited access to EC-Council’s library of video courses. Upgrade to live classes for only $499 each during the subscription year.
You can even finance your Club membership through our partnership with Affirm. In the cart, you’ll be able to split your purchase into easy monthly payments. Term lengths range from 3 to 36 months depending on eligibility and purchase amount, with rates starting as low as 0% APR.
*Your rate will be 0% APR or 10–30% APR based on credit and is subject to an eligibility check. 0% APR is subject to change. Payment options through Affirm are provided by these lending partners: affirm.com/lenders. Options depend on your purchase amount, and a down payment may be required. US Residents Only.
Certification Club Benefits:
Don’t limit yourself to one class per year, join the iClass Club and get your cybersecurity training directly from the source! No one course can make you an expert, so take advantage of EC-Council Master trainers in each subject area and become a well-rounded cybersecurity professional.
For approximately the cost of one live course, the iClass Club will stretch your budget from one course to many. With savings like that, you can afford to build a strong foundation of cybersecurity knowledge in ethical hacking, pen testing, network defense, incident response, computer forensics, and so much more!
One Year Subscription
Access to EC-Council’s full library of on-demand courses
Move to “enhance” to upgrade your experience.
During your subscription, you can upgrade to a live course for $499!
Official Printed Courseware
Lastly, receive ongoing professional development by moving to the Continuing Education phase!
One year of CodeRed
Continue to learn and gather continuing education credits with CODERED!
Premium Content: 4000+ Premium Videos
Fresh Content: New courses and content are added weekly to keep up with the latest skills and technologies.
CodeRed course videos come with lab demos to reinforce course learning concepts and create a constant career learning companion.
Club Subscription in North America
Club Subscription outside of North America
Certification Club Terms:
*Not all courses and workshops have associated Labs and exams. Club members must complete 100% of a course before requesting their next course and to be eligible for that course’s exam voucher. CCISO students must meet the eligibility requirements to challenge the CCISO exam. Students who do not meet the CCISO qualifications must take the EISM exam. CodeRed subscription 12 months. Club membership applicable to EC-Council classes only and does not apply to third party or Hacker Halted classes. Devices such as drones or STORMs must be purchased separately at regular price. Drones and STORMs only ship to the US. Students outside of the US can attend drone workshops but must obtain a drone on their own. If a course version changes while your program is still active, you will be given updated material. If a course version changes after your Club is expired, you will need to purchase an extension to get the new version. Club valid for one year and term begins 24 hours after payment is received. After a period of one (1) year the program expires, and all courses are turned off. Lab access term is for 6 months from when a course is assigned. Additional lab time can be added for no extra charge upon request. Labs will not be extended beyond the Club term. Speak to your rep to extend your Club term for 1 year. Renewal price for the Club is $999. Discount not stackable. The Club is a single user license meaning that the courses cannot be shared, and the club is non-transferable.
Train now, pay later with Affirm.
Still have questions?
Fill out the form below and a representative will reach out to you shortly.